Too many people think that “hospice” services are only for people with cancer or only for older adults. Hospice services deal with a wide array of conditions and situations dealing with end-of-life issues, all geared towards maintaining the best quality of life while providing the best quality of care.
Hospice care in Columbus, Ohio is available regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religious belief, diagnosis or disability. Hospice at Methodist ElderCare in Columbus does require that those seeking hospice care services with them be at least 18 years or older. They can refer you to hospice professionals if you need services for someone needing hospice care who is less than 18 years of age.
Let’s clear up some misunderstandings you may have about hospice:
- Hospice is not just for the last few days or the last two weeks. Hospice is designed to care for the patient and family during the last months of life. Hospice is not a “crisis” service. Patients and families should ask their doctor whether curative treatment will work, and what burden it will place on the patient. An early hospice admission helps the patient and family get full benefit of hospice services, including emotional support and family services.
- You may continue to see your own doctors, whether for your terminal illness or other illnesses.
- Hospice is not just for the elderly or just for Medicare patients. Hospice serves adults of all ages.
- Hospice does not conflict with the beliefs of any major religion. All faiths recognize the value of spiritual support, pain relief, symptom management and counseling during the final phase of life.
- You need not be homebound to receive hospice care. Many patients are out-and-about at times, and some make trips while under hospice care.
- You may leave hospice care at any time. If you would like to return to curative treatment, discuss it with your hospice team. You will be eligible to re-enter hospice at any time without penalty.
To have all your questions and concerns answered about hospice care and who qualifies for services, call Kenya George at Hospice Services at Methodist ElderCare today at 614-705-0892 or email her at email@example.com. Don’t allow unanswered questions to keep you or a loved one from services that are available through hospice that could help your quality of life.